Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Catching up

Many changes have happened in my life recently. I am now living with my sister, her husband, and my niece and nephew (Susan, Ryan, Alexis, & Taylor). This is such a great time of year to stay with family; I'm truly enjoying it!
If you don't already know, I moved from Seattle to Northeast Texas in October of 2005. Susan, Ryan, and Taylor had moved here a few years earlier and I eventually followed. Our dad is moving too and should arrive before Christmas! Our mom may move sometime after that as well, which would be my entire immediate family, and all of my family in Washington.

Back to catching up --
A couple months ago I had two epiphanies: 1) I'm not making any headway on my debt, primarily comprised of student loans. 2) Aside from financial obligations, there is nothing holding me back from doing anything or going anywhere I want. I do not have a husband, a boyfriend, children, or a house. So I started looking into debt forgiveness programs. There are certain organizations that will pay off a portion of your student loans in exchange for your time. Some of these would take you to other countries; I guess it would be called humanitarian work. I thought "what a great opportunity!” I wouldn't get rich or really be making any financial progress, but what an experience! At this point I'm thinking about how to still pay my monthly bills (debts) while going on this adventure. As I'm talking to my family, Ryan suggests that I join the Army. They have amazing incentives and I could make a career of it. Hmmm..... now this is an interesting and challenging concept!

Several years ago I told God that I would walk through any door He opened before me, and I would try to stop knocking on closed doors. This looked like a wide open door to me! We began to look into it.

If you have a Bachelor's degree, which I do, you can join as an officer. The age limit is 29, or 34 with a waiver; I am 34. The weight limit for my height is 144 lbs; I was 144 at the time. Everything seemed to be telling me "go for it!", and I'm thinking that it's now or never, and if I don't try then I'll never know and will always wonder. Also, the US Army will pay off 100% of my student loans upon graduation from Officer Candidate School (OCS), which is over $50,000.

If it were only for financial reasons, that wouldn’t justify this radical life change. I’m 34 and free as a bird to do everything and anything. My only true purpose and direction is to do the will of my Father. While on one hand the last three years have built my faith tremendously, I have also felt without direction some of the time. I would like to believe that all that I’ve experienced has been preparing me for something bigger than I can grasp and that I am right in the center of the Lord’s will. I realize the Army will test me in more ways than I can imagine, but to date I’ve made it to the other side of every trial I’ve ever faced. If this door remains open I will walk through it with confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Julie! I'm so glad everything is going well at your sister's house, I've been thinking about you so much!

    And we're all so glad you started this blog, what a wonderful way to keep in touch with you through all the adventures the Lord is taking you on. =)

    Love you so much Julie. Have a wonderful, blessed day!

    ~Ella (my blogospere name ;-))

    ReplyDelete